Call for Participation: Expert Ad Hoc Groups for Sustainable Use of Resources
GEC invites stakeholders to participate in the review and drafting of criteria for the upcoming EPEAT sustainability impact module for Sustainable Use of Resources.
Below is a list of Expert Ad Hoc Groups that GEC is currently forming and the criteria topics they will address.
1. Materials selection – Selecting lower impact materials (metals/plastics) and use of recycled content.
2. Critical minerals – Focus on recovery and recycling of critical minerals and rare earth elements (REEs).
3. Product longevity
a) Design for durability, repairability and recycling and provision of product service and spare parts. Some specific topics include longer life batteries, product durability testing, utilization of repairability indices, component part failure rates and availability of spare parts, part markings and information for recyclers to facilitate safe handling.
b) Business practices to incentivize circularity – how to incentivize and recognize transformative business practices to enable a more circular economy.
c) Secure data deletion – Best practices to ensure data is securely removed from end-of-life equipment, such that it can be reused or repurposed.
4. Packaging design – Promoting material efficiency and use of recycled and responsibly sourced renewable content.
5. End-of-life – Addressing take-back (collection and recovery mechanisms), environmentally responsible processing, capacity building for developing markets, and reporting on recovery and recycling achievements.
6. Water resources – Assessing and reporting water use in the electronic product value chain.
Expert Ad Hoc Groups will provide technical feedback on draft criteria and definitions. The work of the Expert Ad Hoc Groups will start in November 2021 and is expected to continue for 2-4 months depending on the topic. The Expert Ad Hocs will meet by teleconference and provide offline review and comment on drafts.
Stakeholders with expertise in the above topics are encouraged to participate, including, but not limited to, manufacturers, government policy, purchasers, non-governmental organizations, academics, and component and material suppliers.
If you’d like to participate in any of the above Expert Ad Hoc Groups, please send an email to CRITERIA@globalelectronicscouncil.org by October 13, 2021. Please identify the Expert Ad Hoc Group(s) that you are interested in from the above list and provide a brief summary of your background and experience with the topic.
Please contact the project lead, Erica Logan (firstname.lastname@example.org), with any questions.